Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Unemployed Tip #4: Misbehave as much as you can


The purpose of this blog is to provide you all with a positive voice in order to cut through all the other crap that's out there, for instance, reading declining quarterly earnings, increasing foreclosures, increasing demand for healthcare, and decreasing funding for public services. Or just to help you get over a bad breakup, a dwindling bank account, or even a bad hair day.

However, in order to keep up a positive and informative site....I have to keep up a positive and informative attitude. This can be hard.

The last several nights though I have been blessed to stay up past bedtime (for me, that's usually around 10:30 PM), and eat with friends both new and old. In fact, just last night I played a board game for about two hours over a $4 bottle of wine, hummus, and gummy bears. Probably not the classiest mix of foods, but with the game, conversation, and laughter tossed in - who cared if the wine glasses were in fact ceramic mugs and the hummus was slathered on chips with a dollop of guacamole on top? The greatest part, is that when you get a small group of friends together to eat, more than likely you'll end up with more food than what was there to begin with (for instance, I am now the proud owner of a pint of blackberries, two wheat pitas, a box of champagne grapes, and half a box of Rice Krispie cereal, all of which came in from friends who pitched in for food.)

This week so far though has been a testy one. It's hard to keep your head above the water when there aren't many job postings, and your friends are slowly being laid-off, or their hours are being reduced. There are days when I do stuff where all I'm trying to do is just get by, or fill in the hours. I'm admitting this now because it's the truth. I'm also admitting this now because I'm human and yeah there are times when it sucks to be unemployed, and I kinda sit there with my coffee cup in one hand, my head in my other hand and think "What am I going to do in six months if I'm still unemployed?"

The above picture is of my friend Cristy. She is someone who knows how to take anything ordinary and turn it into a hilarious situation. For instance, this moment was captured when she took two decorative items and decided it would be a good idea to balance them on her head and see how far she could walk. It was her day off, it was 2:35 PM, and a sudden burst of energy (perhaps it was the yellow walls!) made her do this. Everything that was bothering me earlier was sucked out of me as I watched her try to walk with a very heavy bowl/vase on top of her head (that bowl, which I am the proud owner of now!)

That evening I made Rice Krispie treats (with peanut butter and chocolate chips!) late at night with Kate. I don't remember the last time I have made Rice Krispie treats, but at that moment, nothing could beat getting our hands sticky with melted marshmallows, or the hilarity that ensued when we both realized that the cereal was falling on the floor and not into the bowl. That was a Tuesday night. I felt like I was a kid again, giddy that I was staying up into the wee hours of the morning on a school night.

When you are unemployed, down and out, feeling bad, or even confused - do whatever it takes to make yourself laugh. It's times like this that you can't put down on your resume, and let's face it you kinda have to curb it at work. So, my tip for you today is to let it out. It doesn't have to involve downing as much PBR as possible or doing keg stands like you did in college. Fun and laughter come for free (surprise!)


Late Night Rice Krispie Treats

3 T
Butter
4 C Miniature Marshmallows
6 C Rice Krispie cereal
1 C creamy peanut butter
1/2 C chocolate chips

Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
Slowly mix in the cereal. (This is when it gets fun!).
Fold in peanut butter and chocolate chips
Spoon mixture out into 9x12 inch dish
With wax paper, press down onto the mixture, spreading it out evenly in the pan

Don't even take the time to cut them into neat little squares. Just dig in with your hands.

Time from prep to mouth: about 20 minutes
Cost: Rice Krispie cereal - $2.50, Marshmallows - $1.99, Peanut butter - $2.99, Chocolate Chips: $2.99



No comments:

Post a Comment