Sunday, July 19, 2009

Car tripping, potlucks, and catching up...in no particular order.

It has been almost ten days since the last post. For those of you who have been checking this blog regularly (I know there are a few of you, and to those of you - hello!), the last week has been quite the whirlwind of activity. For starters, a group of us kids got together for a Friday evening potluck and featured food that was made (or store-bought!) on the creatively cheap! Above is a picture of my Kale (please see previous post for the recipe), Kyle's Quesadillas, Lindsay's fritattas, and Brenna's deviled eggs. I am hoping to get my hands on these recipes and more to share with you as this blog continues to grow.
The next day I turned right around and hopped in a car for a road trip adventure that involved four National Parks (Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Wind Caves, the Badlands) one National Monument (Devil's Tower) and one National Memorial (Mount Rushmore). I also visited a former gold mine, and toured around probably one of the most interesting rest stops which had a small hike around lava rock. Never....EVER in my life did I think I would do a trip such as this one. I've spent most of my life driving up and down the West Coast, pretty much memorizing the terrain of Eastern Washington, Central Oregon, the Willamette Valley, and Northern and Southern California, with the occasional flight to other U.S. cities peppered in. But there isn't a single excerpt from a book or any picture that prepares you for what you see while sitting in a car and driving through America. The above picture is what I saw right after we turned around a curve outside of Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I ask for forgiveness on the photo quality, as this picture (as is most of the pictures on this blog) was taken from my Iphone. But you get the idea that those mountains, which are the Grand Tetons - are enormous while driving by. That, and they feel like they are right next to you.

I cannot put down in one blog post or several paragraphs what this entire trip meant to me. A picture can't express what it feels like to climb and run around the pinnacles and feel the prehistoric rock at the Badlands, or the smell of sulfur and feeling the waves of warm steam on your face from roiling hot springs at Yellowstone. Open prarie fields during the late afternoon have the most pleasant silence.

If you get the opportunity to drive across the country or visit a National park by all means fill up the tank and go. If it's not one more notch in your belt of things to do before you die, it's surprising how much more you get out of such an adventure.

Oh, and for those of you who are already asking - we obeyed the advertisements in South Dakota and drank the ice water at Wall Drug.....


No comments:

Post a Comment