Sunday, July 5, 2009

A healthy and cheap addiction

I just ate an entire bunch of kale in one sitting. No fancy cut of meat to go with it, no exotic type of fish, no bread. No $10 bottle of wine to wash it down. I love kale that much. In fact I think there's something wrong with me.

I could eat this stuff every day if I wanted to. This is as healthy as it gets - packed with Beta Carotene, Vitamin A and C, Lutein, and B6. Toss it with some garlic - Also rich in B6, C, Calcium, Zinc, and Iron. If you are feeling dragged down from all the Carbohydrate-rich foods that are quick to cook and appeal to those of us with thin wallets, this one will get you back up to speed in no time. Perfect for a Sunday dinner while watching re-runs on TV and folding laundry.

Warning - addictive therefore giving possibility to no leftovers. I suggest that you cook this only for yourself, and that if you intend on having leftovers, to refrain yourself on grabbing seconds. Also, keep away from hungry roommates, curious kids, boyfriends, and girlfriends.


Selfish Helping Sauteed Kale

Olive oil
1 bunch Kale (there are different types of kale, any type works although I am partial to Lacinto Kale)
5 cloves of garlic, peeled and diced
Red pepper flakes
Water (keep some in a glass by the stove)
Salt and pepper to taste


*In large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Toss in garlic and saute until slightly fragrant.
*Toss in Kale, making sure to coat in olive oil/garlic mix.
*once Kale is completely coated, bring heat down to medium and toss in water (a little goes a long way. This is to prevent the kale/garlic from sticking and burning). Partially cover and let it steam for about 7-10 minutes.
*Add in red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.

Time from Prep to Mouth: 20 minutes
Cost: depending on the season and where you buy the Kale - anywhere from $1.50 to $2.00 a bunch. Garlic - $1.00 a head

Extra tip: if you have it on hand, toss in some pinenuts or slivered almonds at the end when the water has evaporated.

1 comment:

  1. I have never had Kale, but have found as I'm getting older that I'm loving more and more vegetables. It's funny coming from someone who used to hate ALL of them, save corn and carrots. One of my MOST favorite things to eat now is brussel sprouts, and I used to DESPISE them!

    I <3 you =).

    ReplyDelete